10-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #71
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
First, the E82 never had a "limited slip differential" anyway, just e-diff on certain models which applies to brakes and that is not the same thing as a real lsd. If you mean the 1M, it always has it on tap (the variable M diff, same as a E9X M3) regardless of DSC on/off or MDM modes.

About the steering feel, those cars you mention are slightly different category (I would call them sporty cars rather than sports cars) than what I mentioned before (Porsche Boxster and 911) and sorry but I am yet to hear any respected independent reviewer claiming that the new electric steering units are as good or better than old hydraulic units in hard core sports cars. Getting close but...I do agree in time engineers should be able to perfect them though, not sure if that happened yet.
The E82 (non 1M) had the e-diff only when the electronics (DSC/DTC) was enabled. The new thing about the F20 is that it has an e-diff when the DSC/DTC is switched off. It is not as good as a real LSD, but it is a lot better than only an open differential.

I have read several reviews about the Toyota GT86 that raves about the steering. The car was built for the optimum driving experience, and I am pretty sure Toyota/Subaru tested both hydraulic and electric steering in the prototypes. They chose electric, and it works. And the GT86 is just as hard core as a Boxster. It even has a real limited slip differential! :-)
Appreciate 0