View Single Post
      03-25-2024, 04:01 PM   #40
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasted View Post
Hey everyone, I’m currently 17 and have saved up enough to afford the mk5 supra, m340i, etc. Currently have driven my 328i with downpipe and tune for 2 years ish? Just things in those price range. The thing is I would also be making content off one of these cars and modding the crap out of them so try to keep that in mind please. Currently in between the supra, m340i, or m440i. Or should I just save up for an g82 m4 ? So I was wondering which car you guys think you would choose if you were in my boots. Take into consideration that I am still in highschool and need to have a car I can drive everyday but also want to have fun and make my car look great. I would love all opinions and thanks !
A car is a depreciating asset. Most of the money you put into a car today will disappear. Plus, you need to pay for insurance, gas, repairs (parts, tools, working space, and supplies if you do it yourself), and more. If you buy new, something like twenty percent of its value will evaporate the moment you drive it off of the dealer lot.

Any money you put into buying a fancy car now, is money you will not have for your future. Any money that you invest wisely now, can be used to buy a fancy car in the future to go into the nice house that you can also purchase. That’s without talking about college and such.

I didn’t have a car until I inherited an elderly relative’s car while in college. We weren’t permitted to own our own cars.

If I were in your shoes, I would stick with that 328i. Learn from it and have fun with it.

I would still be driving my own 328xi M-Sport wagon, had a pothole not totaled it.

I suppose that if you and your family have the means both to pay for and afford (the two are not the same) such a car, and mod it in ways that could put added stress on it, then others can give you more specific advice. But that’s my $0.02. Take it for what it’s worth.

P.S. I heartily support the recommendation that you work on honing your driving skills with what you have. Sign up for track and other courses. Learn how to make the most of what you already own.
T0RM3NT3712.00