View Single Post
      02-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #30
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 116i m-sport 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbury View Post
There is no way you save up to 20 % by using auto start/stop and Eco Pro. Even 5 % would be an optimistic figure. You can't trust the blue number in your display. It's pure fiction.

Also, auto start/stop is fine with the 6mt since you have to make the conscious decision of shutting the engine off by taking your foot off the clutch. With the auto box it will shut off whenever you stop, even if you were just stopping for a split-second. That's just annoying and inefficient.
You are probably right. I don't trust the blue numbers at all. But they do show after 200 km that I have +35 km. Thatīs city driving with A LOT of stops waiting for traffic lights with auto start/stop in use.

But driving in a more calm and smoother way does cut down on fuel cost. No way of denying that. How much exactly is individual and depends on many factors.

And driving in Eco Pro urges you to drive calmer since the throttle is less responsive. I just find it relaxing and use it most of the time. The blue + numbers are just and added effect simply reminding you that you do save fuel in eco pro.

I think this is just a mental trick BMW researched, showing a number has a greater effect on the mind rather than not showing any gained kmīs from using EcoPro.

PS. I know about the auto gear box + auto start/stop, its the most insane solution I have tried. Extremely annoying with the delay if the stop is less than 1-2sec. But now I got a manual and the auto start/stop is much easier to control. If I keep the car in gear the auto stop will never kick in. Only if the gear is in neutral will the auto stop become active.
Appreciate 0