View Single Post
      04-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
120d_estoril
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F21 120d Auto - Estoril Blue

Well my speakers have finally arrived but can you guess what the problem is....

Supposedly designed for new BMW's including the F20 model although its quite clear its not a direct swap as DLS claim!!

Anyway on to the door removal....

I had undo the two torx bolts on the lower part of the door card, you should be able to feel these if you run your hand around.

I then had to use a trim removal tool and insert it in the small hole at the bottom of the trim. With a bit of force it pops out...

Your then left with...

Another two torx bolts are in there which need removing.

You then need to take the trim off around the door lever and you'll find another torx bolt...

After that its simply a case of popping the fasteners off the door car using a bit of force and the door should work itself free. It does require a bit of encouragement to get it off and its certainly not for the faint hearted! Once off you need to unclip the door lever, and window switch and it should come fully free.

Your then left with something a little like this...

2 things to note that I didn't know....

Theres not pre-wiring for the tweeter if you only have a midrange fitted.

The actually speaker is bolted to the door itself and not to the door card like in the E 1 series.

You simply unclip the plug to the speaker and remove the three torx screws and the speaker pulls out. There is quite a big gap between the speaker and the rear of the door however the window drops very close to the back of the speaker hence to shallow mount speakers required.

New mirror housings and tweeters fitted. Fortunately these were a direct fit so pretty straight forward to install. I shall be running the speakers active in the doors.

I had to spend a good couple of hours yesterday constructing a mount out of MDF so I could use the existing holes in the door and secure the speaker to something. I have screwed and siliconed the speaker to the mount and hoping to fit it this evening should the weather stay dry.

I also fitted some silent coat sound deadening and some 35mm sound coat sound absorber to the door to make it a little more 'dead' and stop and back wave reflections.

I haven't put the door back on yet but will update later or tomorrow once its on if I don't run in to anymore problems!!

Thanks
Mark
Appreciate 0