05-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #13
Jack_Frost
Registered
Rep
Drives: 118i EB M-Sport

B38 luvin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas118i View Post
It would be interesting to know if anyone on the forum have a b38 engined car with the sound as in the videos above, and how their cars are specced.
Hi Thomas, registered just for this. I'm uploading a clip from a little roadtrip I did yesterday, so you can hear the sound I'm getting. I think it matches the sounds posted above, but i'll let you decide.

My specs are as follows:
118i M-sport
6-speed manual
B38 3 cylinder
Hifi system
Around 4000 km's
Conti Sportcontact 5 SSR

The sound insulation of the cabin and engine compartment are pretty effective, but once you get above 4k revs, it starts to come alive in a nice way. I'm not sure if you're still breaking in the engine, which could mean you're not hitting the revs required to make her sing, but I'm probably wrong.

Some notes for those interested:

1st clip: Windows completely open, with the tunnel reflecting tons of sound, what you hear is exaggerated.
2nd clip (behind the bikes): starts off with half opened windows. At about 00:35 in I close them. This shows just how good the sound insulation really is: I do shift up, and lay off the gas, but it's very quiet when driven normally. It isn't until the downshift blip that the engine is clearly audible.
3rd clip: Just enjoying the scenery. Windows closed, air conditioning off - for eh, environmental purposes.

Last edited by Jack_Frost; 05-08-2016 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0