07-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #52
NL-J
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
IMO the new 1 series really doesn't look that bad, except for the back which as said before looks cheap and un-BMW like. While the E81 looks phenomenally better, especially the 1M you have to admit that the car has a boy-racer feel to it. With the F20 I think BMW is trying to head in a new direction and the car definitely looks more refined than the previous gen but in doing so they made the car look tame and uninspiring. I honestly doubt anyone who sees the F20 on the road will feel envious or want to go purchase one after seeing it.

While I don't have much of a problem with the looks my real gripe is the appalling choice of engines offered with the F20, the one redeeming factor for the car's uninspiring looks and BMW manages to mess it up. I understand that CAFE laws and efficient dynamics are dictating what direction BMW is taking their brand but aren't they creating a new " I " sub brand which focuses solely on fuel efficiency? They even produced electric E81s and are leasing them in preparation for the new I3; why waste the good reputation they built with the 1 series as being a fun and sporty compact?

+1 I'm getting pretty annoyed by all this efficient dynamics crap. BMW also works together with PSA in developing engines, the 116i and 118i come with a 1.6ltr turbo and to me it looks like that same engine is used by Peugeot in some models (I can be wrong ofcourse, I hope so lol). So I can only hope those engines are pure BMW engines and not from PSA, paying much $$$$ for a BMW with a Peugeot engine would suck IMO

You also have to pay a damn lot more for the upcoming new models with an inline 6 2.0ltr engines already became a 4cyl after the E46, now the 25/28i will be a 4cyl too

I'm afraid they are slowly taking the joy out of driving BMW with all the focus on emissions and efficient dynamics and whatever. Except I guess for the pure M cars, but they are horribly taxed here.