View Single Post
      09-07-2015, 11:49 PM   #21
dishy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

Hi Padders, I thought I'd reach out to ZF directly before commenting any further as I grasped the tone of your email you were becoming a bit angry at the discussion. Thanks for the link too.

I confirmed with ZF that the 8HP50 is what is called the 2nd generation 8HP gearbox. So apologies for my misunderstanding here. However I have also found out that since the 8HP45 initial launch there have been many updates and improvements to the 8hp45. So, it is possible my M135 has an updated 8HP45 rather than the 8HP50, but it's not what is called a second generation 8HP45 like I first understood. I need to get the gearbox coding numbers off the casing to be able to identify and I don't have a ramp or any way of seeing it, so I can't tell which version of 8HP45 I have (if I have a 45). I'm still waiting on ZF to get back to me with regards to some questions I had about the characteristical differences between the 45 and the 50. I think the only way for me to know for sure is to see what RPM the engine is doing in a specific gear and specific speed as the gear ratios are different between the two boxes, and gear ratios have not been changed in the 8HP45.
Appreciate 0