View Single Post
      08-25-2015, 01:05 AM   #19
padders
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishy View Post
Hi Padders, I think you are misunderstanding their text. Speaking specifically about the 8HP45, there are gen 1 and gen 2 boxes of the 8HP45. There are a few key differences to be able to tell them apart but effectively the gen2 is just an updated version of the same box. One key difference is the gen 1 had a A.S.S shutdown time lag of 1.5 seconds whereas the gen 2 is immediate. The 8HP50 seems to be a run of something new as it has different gear ratios, unlike the other 8HP line gearboxes which have the same gear ratios regardless of model number, ie: 8HPX where X relates to the capable torque input.

So, the 8HP50 is not the second generation of 8HP45's. I can see on documentation relating to my car that the gear ratios do not match that of the 8HP50 but they do match the 8HP45 (and others from this link in the technical information tab: http://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/pr....shtml#tabs1-1).

I cannot find any technical information at all about the 8HP50. It's not listed in the link above.

I also read somewhere that the 8HP line is the 2nd generation of ZF 8 speed gearboxes, with reduced internal friction giving better fuel economy. In fact I believe it is mentioned in the ZF promo videos on their website.
And I think it is you who are misunderstanding the text. I haven't seen any info at all suggesting that there is a second version of the 8HP45 so if you have found any evidence of this I would be very interested to see it. It seems clear from the press release that the 8HP50 is second generation meaning what came before is first generation. The 8HP45/70/90 was the original design of 8HP thus is the first generation. The 8HP50/75 is the second generation. If you think otherwise, show me. Not being able to find info on a brand new updated product doesn't prove it doesn't exist, it shows that ZF are lousy at updating their website.

8HP is not IMO the name of second generation of the 8 speed it is the generic name for the ZF 8 speed gearbox family including first and second efforts, just as 6HP covered all the six speed boxes. If it is indeed the second generation name as you suggest, what the hell was the first gen called?

I think you are clutching at straws here mate, I really do.

Last edited by padders; 08-25-2015 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0