View Single Post
      08-24-2015, 04:31 AM   #17
padders
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

I think we are splitting hairs here. You could indeed call the 8HP 50 a different box but it seems pretty clear to me from the press release that it is of the second generation of the 8HP line. As for just being a diesel version of the 45, that doesn't make sense since they also use the new 50 box on the petrol triple B38 engines too.

I am not sure why you find it hard to believe that it is a refinement of the 8HP box, seems pretty clear from the press release to me. They use the following:

'The successful 8HP 8-speed automatic transmission has been characterized by these advantages since the start of production in 2009. All of the advantages are now even more pronounced in the second generation that initially is in volume production since July 2014 in the BMW 520d. The new 8HP offers comprehensive further developments that range from lower drag torques and higher spread through to an improved torsional vibration absorption. Gradually, the new 8-speed automatic transmissions from ZF are being deployed in further models and with many automotive manufacturers worldwide.'

And:

'The new 8HP entered volume production at the start of July in the BMW 520d as the 8HP50 version that is designed for torques of up to 500 Nm. In the future, the 8HP75 will be part of the ZF portfolio for drives with even higher torque of up to 750 Nm.

Gradually, all further automotive manufacturers to whom ZF has already supplied the 8HP in over 1 000 vehicle applications will utilize the latest generation of the 8-speed automatic transmission.'
Appreciate 0