View Single Post
      08-20-2015, 03:53 AM   #12
dishy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by padders View Post
I looked into this recently, interestingly (or not!) only certain models of 1 series have received the second generation 8HP50 box and others still have the earlier 8HP45 generation 1 box even after the LCI changes. It seems that the new 3 cylinder cars and B47 diesel 4s now have the gen 2 (8HP50) box and the slightly older petrol 4s and the big 6 (i.e. N generation engines) have the gen 1 box . It looks like they are transitioning over to the gen 2 box along with the transition to the B generation engine.

I believe the differences are very minor and include a wider ratio spread (7.8:1 vs 7.06:1), reduced oil pressure requirements and instant SS shutdown where the gen one needed a 1.5s wait, presumably to pressurise the hydraulics. The speed at up to which coasting is possible is also increased with gen 2 up to 160km/h but I can't offer exact figures on what it was previously.
Hi Padders, where have you found this info from please mate? From the very limited google research I have done, the gen 2 gearbox is still an 8HP45 and I also though the gear ratios remained the same.
Regarding the certain models, I would think that it was more by chance but had this criteria:
- since gen 2 box released mid 2014, only cars manufactured after this date could possibly have them
- BMW stock of gen1 boxes would need to have run out before BMW would have ordered more 8HP gearboxes, which would have been gen2

So, I think that it may have been a little while after the gen2 release date, however my car was actually manufactured in late 2014 but I'm sure it has the gen2 box as engine shutdown is instant and sometimes before the car has fully come to a complete settled stop. I think the A.S.S should wait 0.5s tbh.
Appreciate 0