07-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Buck View Post
Interesting review. I'm booking a test drive next week, as I've been swamped at work this week. I think the Merc felt quicker when I was shotgun to the salesman, but tbh he always seemed close to the redline throughout. Where as when I tested the M135i it seemed to just go from the off, any gear, any RPM and I never really needed the higher revs on the 30 minutes I spent in it. In a real world situation when your dealing with slugs in small engined cars the BMW will certainly do the job of getting you clear of the pack. But I think in a similar situation to the AutoCar review on the back roads, that 4 wheel drive the AMG has up its sleeve, will help it distance its self from the BMW. I gave it 2 all in my 4 review categories. BMW came out top on Engine and performance and Usability and practicality. Whilse the AMG came out top on looks and handling.
Yeah, very different power delivery. But, i still expected it to feel faster...maybe i was expecting too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Very nice review! I guess that you highlight an important aspect that's less stressed, or even neglected, in some car magazines: cars are driven by real people on real roads.

The fact the M135i drips torque as from idle rpm is extremely dominant in the real live comparo versus the Merc which doesn't build comparable massive torque low down! The sweet six in line still has the edge to season the sporty drive into a premium lustfull endulging leasure.

On the other hand, when you push the shove on a closed circuit, the dominion of the Merc seems obvious. But what do you really want: the fastest around the ring or the one who delivers most pleasure in real life. I know what I want...
Totally agree, road driving is very different to full on track! and which do we do more off

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Can I ask how is the ride in the A45? Does it crash through rough roads? I don't mind stiff suspension as long as it doesn't crash through pot holes and rougher roads (like in S-line Audis!). Porsche for example has given the Cayman stiff suspension, but it is so compliant that it is nice to drive even in b-roads.
It felt nothing like as bad as the Audi S-lines but i dont actually think it hit any bug pot holes. It did feel more unsettled and jittery and the M135i. I know you can option a firmer suspension, i really cannot see the point in that!