View Single Post
      09-23-2015, 04:45 AM   #6
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post
Well the ER FMIC is quite big. Also the upper part does not get any direct cold air either. To me it's not a proper design. The Wagner EVO2 perfectly matches the size of fresh air coming in. Even the ATM, the last 2 rows don't get fresh air.

How much that impacts cooling not sure. The ATM cooled as good as the Wagner. I did not try - nor do i plan on trying - the ER fmic. Let me know how things go.
The opening from where the fresh air arrives should be a lot smaller than the intercooler. If they are the same size, the air turns back after bumping into the aluminium block that we call intercooler. When air turns back, new air cannot proceed to the intercooler.

The intercooler is not quite a solid block of metal though, and a certain percentage of the FMIC lets the air through it. Now, if the opening in the front of the intercooler is exactly as many percentages of the intercooler frontal area, as is the percentage of "holes" in FMIC through which the air travels, the cooling will be maximized and no air turns back to be as a ceiling for new fresh air.

All the direct flow air does not fit though the FMIC directly due to the solid parts of the FMIC and is pushed up (+down+sides). Ducts on the edges of the FMIC will force the air though the FMIC. Otherwise part of the air entering from the opening can still be lost if it gets around the FMIC.
Appreciate 0