Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
I dont know if its common to all DSLR, but my D7000 doesnt AF very well when using extension tubes. So I had to manually focus everytime i've put a tube on. But the DOF is so shallow when using more then 30mm, sometimes a part of my subject is OOF. 24mm was perfect for me (used on my spider shots in last contest). And with more then 24mm, you have to be danger close to your subject to get a focussed shot.

As for the lens itself, the problem I had with it is the focus distance. The bee shot i've posted is the closest I could get before going OOF. So I think I will get clearer shots with the 24 70 and extension tube, but will be short on the focal range. I'm gonna have to trial and error on this.

The TC is the next thing on my shopping list. I just need to get a nice deal on the version III of Nikon's TC. I've seen a comparo of the two lasts versions and the II version is not even worth looking at compared to the version III.
I use Canon ETs with my Canon lenses and the all "Report" EXIF. When the effective aperture gets smaller than f/5.6, then AF will slow dramatically or stop. I suspect the same is true with Nikon prosumer bodies.

With shallow DOF you want to get the eye in focus and you do this by physically moving the camera in and out. Take lots of shots and try to get either head-on or side views, where the shallow DOF is less of a worry. It's interesting to observe that if you get the eye in focus and show lots of details around the eyes, no one worries about all the OOF stuff.

Dave