OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
A petty justification of mediocrity....

Compare with the Jobs / Apple philosophy that it's the supplier's job to innovate because people don't know what's achievable and possible.

Straight out of the Roger Smith playbook. Strong work!
A interesting take on the comment and I can see some merit to it. The public doesn't always know whats best for them, but I think you have shown your hand with previous comments. If BMW were to build more sporty cars then it would be what you want and therefore fall into the same trap.

Another idea to consider is the obsession with "innovation" it is overused and overvalued. Reminds me of the whole "synergy" craze consultants would always talk about. There was an interesting take on this in a Freakonomics podcast that rebutted the importance of innovation.

To that point Steve Jobs did change the market in smartphones, but after the initial iPhone all I see are mild product enhancements. Better screen, software, battery life, faster hardware. In addition Apple purposely held back obvious improvements to their product so they would have something new to introduce each year. Many of them already in other smartphone products. I would say Steve Jobs was an innovator, but most importantly, a master marketer.
Appreciate 0