2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
E36 hands down!

-cheaper car to get started
-more reliable motor (redline of 7000rpm vs 8600rpm)
-cheaper motor to replace if blows ($2K vs $4K)
-lighter, not even close. I have seen many 2400lb E36 and rarely see an E46 under 2700lb.
-the suspension geometry is about the same
-parts are a little cheaper
-If you start upgrading an E46 much, you're close to Corvette weight/power and will be competing against them
-very easy to work on
-SMG not available which would break anyway

Not bagging on the E46 because its a great car too:
-Prettier body (let's face it, the E36 is kind of ugly)
-Faster car to start
-great handling
-6MT available and can swap in a the lighter 5MT from the E36

Keep this in mind: if you get tired of the paltry US S52 (S50), you can always swap in an S54. (very easy to do, costs $8K total with engine) An S54 powered E36 will ALWAYS be faster than a comparably equipped E46 M3. The two fastest cars in my race car club are E36's:

Phil Buffington has an ultralight E36 with still uses an S52 engine with just bolt ons. He only has about 240whp, but his car only weighs about 2300lbs. Basically he just wears everyone else down and eventually passes them. Watch how the more powerful cars pull away on the straights but Phil catches up to them in every turn.

Greg Dalgarn owns his own highly respected indy BMW shop and also runs the E36 chassis in race group. He has a built S54 motor (reportedly cost $40K) in it and is wicked quick. Greg's just in front of Phil in the above video also.

My own race instructor/mechanic (Leroy Moore) loves the E36 chassis and claims the fastest car on track is an S54(or LS) powered E36. Basically is unbeatable. He made most of his fame and wins in an ultralight 150whp E30. Lighter weight trumps horsepower on a road course.

Yes, I drive an E36 and love it. at only 218whp its a challenge to beat well driven higher horsepower cars. I play with Todd who has an S54 powered non-M E46. He beats me more often than not, but on this day I threw on a new set of tires and had his lunch:

Nothing is more gratifying than wearing out a Corvette guy in your 240hp car. This guys is actually a pretty good driver and he did a super sweet drift while passing me on the high speed left hander. Ultimately I wore him out in the turns and he had to let me go after about a lap or so.
There's no reason the e46m can't be as light as an s54 powered e36m, if you're comparing gutted out cars. The chassis itself isn't significantly heavier. I also don't agree the swapped e36 will always be faster-- it can't fit nearly as much tire, the braking electronics are vastly inferior, the chassis is flexier.

The s54 redline is 8000rpm, not 8600 rpm. I don't believe the s54 to be any less reliable than the s50/s52. Both need tweaking to be truly bulletproof- the s52 needs oil pump nut and oil pan baffling, the S54 needs a vanos oil pump disk and loctite on the cam bolts ($150 in parts, btw).

If we're considering engine swaps a valid point of debate, the S62 is easy in the e46-- the cars use the same ecu and electronic subsystems, so it's electronically pretty plug and play. S62's are easy to get into the mid 500 hp range without touching the bottom end-- And the e46 can fit enough tire to actually make use of that, since the stock fenders can fit 285s on all 4 corners.

And if on track videos are being considered somehow meaningful (they shouldn't be, way to much driver factor, but since you're posting them engine swapped e36's), here's an s62 swapped e46m chasing down and passing a 918

Again, all from the perspective of someone who just sold a 2415 lb, 380 hp (engine swapped) e36 m3 race car.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 2