09-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion01 View Post
'New' inline six? The N55 will most likely run for quite some time and the M135i is a good indication of what is now available, with 320 HP stock (and probably more when actually strapped to a dyno). The M3 might run a newer iteration altogether but that is some ways down the line.

As to the article, and 500cm3 being optimal, it's ironic in my case insofar as recent cars owned:

Golf 5 GTI: 2 litre / 4 cylinder
BMW 135i: 3 litre / 6 cylinder
Ford Focus ST: 2.5 litre / 5 cylinder

... all 500cm3
The current N55 is being phased out. It takes time to do so as we had seen with the N54. This is not a new plan and has been discussed for over a year now. Up until this year the "IS" models and 1M had the N54- The phase out will take three years or so.

The debut of the new six will not be until the F32 and F10 Facelift if what I have heard is true, if not considering the F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
It's very good for a 1.5L, but it's no 3L six. In a light car with an electric motor to help out, it will sip fuel and perform decently.
In peak form the I3 will be 220hp. Let's not forget that BMW is making the 116i now, and that is a four banger with less power than the base turbo 3 will have. The wonders of planning an underpowered 4 cylinder model on purpose to market a future 3 cylinder that has MORE!