View Single Post
      07-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Really? You're not even trying, I gave you all the information...all you had to do was google 802.11ac beamforming.

Do you understand what constructive and destructive wave interference is? If not, google that and read about it because you will need to understand it to know how these can be directional. The basic point is these use very small phase differences between the antennas to steer a point of constructive interference in the direction of your device. Indeed, directional beam forming is WRITTEN INTO THE SPEC of 802.11AC and I can assure you it is not only a real thing but it works very well. The technology is not even slightly new. Guess how phased array radars (in use by the military for decades) work? Yes, exact same principal. You have a shitload of small antennas and they "steer" the high gain beam by using phase differences among the elements to generate constructive interference.
I get beamforming. It's my issue that I read through your reply too fast and misread your directional comment in reference to the antenna. The fact remains the antennas used in these APs and the enterprise grade APs (indoor with internal antennas) of which I run in my home all use omni directional antennas.

While beamforming helps with bandwidth and distance, the bulk of the performance is due to the spatial streams and channel width/channel bonding.

As an aside, my reply was an honest question based on my error of misreading your post. You have a tendency on many of your posts to be abrasive for no reason.
Appreciate 0