View Single Post
      07-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #7
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Get an 802.11AC access point. Your issue is likely not due to signal strength in the first place, but the kind I recommend will fix THAT issue too because it will send directional high gain signals directly to your device. You won't get close to 150mb without 802.11ac. This is what I use, it gives me nearly gigabit speeds (on my local network) and maxes out my 100mb internet: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC3200/

The range is also crazy due to the aforementioned beamforming. I'm a ham radio operator so I can use beaucoup power on wifi if I so desire (and I do use several watts on my 2.4GHz RC aircraft), but it's not necessary with one of these.
Are you sure that wireless router has directional antennas? I've never seen a SOHO router with directional antennas from the factory. And based on the picture, I see omnidirectional antennas. What the gain is on them I don't know as the specs don't provide it.

Also another consideration to the ultimate performance one gets over wireless with 802.11n and 802.11ac is the number of spatial streams being employed. That's the spec that reads 2x2, 3x3, or 4x4. I haven't seen an 802.11ac wireless NIC with 3x3 capability. Plenty of 2x2s though.
Appreciate 0