10-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #30
Minizor
Registered
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
The main issue for BMW is what is type approved i.e what tyres have been tested and are part of the car's registered safety approval.

In Germany, the 'type approved' tyres are listed in the car's documentation and only those tyres can be used (from a legal and insurance standpoint, anything else is considered not 'roadworthy i.e you wouldn't get an MOT certificate)

Again in Germany, almost all BMWs that specify asymmetric tyres sizes for summer (M- and M-sport cars) specify narrower, symmetric winter tyres on different rims

Economically, buying a 2nd set of wheels has always worked OK for me, ultimately costing me less than a single set of tyres when you consider buying price less selling price after 2 seasons

Add to the fact that the winter tyres in symmetric sizes are way cheaper (due to the production volume and smaller size) and more freely available and the fact I don't have to drive the more expensive rims on salty, slippery roads and for me a 2nd set of wheels makes sense
Hmm.. ok I'm getting more confused. I went to my local garage (non-BMW), they have these new Pirelli Sottozero 3 in 225/40R18, which are symmetrical tires, a bit cheaper and have a better grip rating (B) than the previous model of Pirelli WSZ2 (C) (which are asymmetrical tires..)

However, if I follow the list that sootyvrs kindly posted, only the WSZ2 are certified by BMW as 18" winter tires.. even though they are asymmetrical..
Appreciate 0