View Single Post
      09-22-2012, 01:50 AM   #38
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

By the sounds of this BMW talk, it looks likely that this new 3 pot will replace the 4 pot in the 116i as the entry level motor with the 2 lt (125i) as the mid and the 135i as the top in the next release.

For those who say and want the in-line 6 to remain for many years. It's biggest issue is that BMW like all others may have to face increased impact ratings +10km on their DRS soon. A 10km increase doesn't sound much but it will make a hugh diffence on crumple zone design and length.

It is easier to increase a collision rate zone without increasing the front length of the car with a four or now a 3 pot or a V6 in the engine bay, as there is phisically more room in front of it and they can put crash rails on the fire wall to push down a short motor.
If BMW has to comply to more stringent regulations on crumple zone speeds they would be forced to either make the engine bays longer for any model with the 6 to incorporate the zones or build a V6 (two 3 pots in in V) I would not bank on the straight 6 being there forever if these new DRS come in.
Appreciate 0