iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by airblade550 View Post
Hi... Having fitted the Alpine upgrade to a late, (2010) E87 I can report that it was a complete "plug & play" installation procedure and took me appx 2.5hrs. I wouldnt imagine that it would be too much different on the F20

All that was needed were a few basic tools to unclip/unscrew a few bits of trim. The cables plugged into existing sockets in the loom.

As the signal is taken from the existing loudspeaker cables, (as opposed to the head unit at line level), the system sees no change, no new hardware is detected, so no coding is required at that level. The only instance where coding could be required is where, (because the basic system has no tweeters), the high feq output of the head unit has been boosted and needs to be set at a reduced level to reflect the new improved caperbilities of the retrofit.... Alternativly, just reduce the treble manually via the tone control...

The change to the system in quality terms is well worth the £350 that the kit cost.
In order to see (hear) the full benefit of the alpine upgrade, you must recode your car to disable the head units built in equaliser-if you dont it will go through a 2 phase equalisation; which equals reduced quality of sound.

Re-coding turns the head unit into 'HiFi' mode (a specific Alpine HiFi mode), which lets the amp do the equalisation, instead of the head unit.
Appreciate 0