View Single Post
      02-16-2023, 01:17 PM   #17
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Common sense would mean that everyone would drive tanks too with your logic. After all a semi truck is going to squash your 3 to 4k lb car. See how this logic can get out of hand. I know the risks with riding BOTH bicycles and motorcycles. Some will call me stupid for doing so. That's your opinion. Or put in another way with your logic, no one would ever cross a street with cars traveling on it. Pedestrians get hit all the time by cars. Or in the case of the recent incident in NYC, some deranged a$$hole intentionally plowed a UHaul through sidewalks to hit people. So are you advocating never walking on a sidewalk near cars too? After all there is that risk.

Common sense is relative and only common based on point of view. I do things to ensure I minimize my exposure as best that I can. It's not going to prevent every risk factor. There are things I enjoy doing and I'm not going to stop because of some fear something might happen. I'm not being reckless either. I've done nothing risky to increase my risk of cancer. Yet, I got hit with it twice. That there has taught me I have no control over many things no matter how much I try. If it's my time to go, it's going to be that time no matter what I do.
A few things-

1) Imho, vehicles below 3k lbs are no longer fit for the streets in today's traffic. Sadly cars have gone massively larger, this is a fact... this would disqualify your miatas etc on today's streets sorry.

2) Semi trucks have limited exposures in that 95% of their miles are on two lane divided highways as they typically travel long distances where there is less two way traffic...

3) Pedestrians vs bikes -pedestrians DO NOT walk on the streets unless it's to cross them... they should never be on them outside of that. Pedestrians also move at 2 MPH and can move or jump in any direction as long as they are paying attention with little to no risk. A bike moves forward w great speed that you physically don't even need to get hit by anything to fly forward... any bump, rock, undulations on the street, pedestrians walking... absolutely anything can screw you... if this is a risk you want to take on your bikes or motorcycle... i won't argue with you. I own a dirt bike so I like bikes but I wouldn't dare get on a public road.