View Single Post
      07-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #21
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

The posts on this car are fascinating and illuminating.

For many years, as a Canadian living in Asia, I have read US based forums and all the posts from US consumers begging for Polos, Lupos, wagons and other hatchbacks...proclaiming there really is a market for such cars in the US.

And then...the almost universal outcry of FAIL emerges from those sames posters over the design elements of this car. I certainly agree with many; this car is not for me either.

But there are so many aspiring Asians and Europeans out there who value the practicality that this car offers in a small size, its lower price, and the prestige of the brand. Yes, we call them badge-whores. But how many of them will go on to 3 series, 5, 7s, and increasingly, X3s and X5s, the ultimate US approved hatchbacks, er, oops, SUVs?

I'm not here to tell people what they ought to like. I'm just sharing my opinion..this car is going to sell VERY well in its intended markets, bring 1000s of newly affluent consumers to the brand, and satisfy its core consumers with the pride of ownership that comes with the beloved blue and white roundel.

Cheers to BMW management that have the foresight to develop these markets, increase sales, brand presence, and profitability so that my next F32 is going to rock my world the way this F20 is going to rock someone else's!

And scarily...the more I am exposed to the design...the more it is growing on me!

Let's hope anyway!
Appreciate 0