View Single Post
      05-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #10
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
Generaly, I agree with your points Steve. I have a slightly different view on a few subjects...however, I still agree with you, that if you want the outmost reliability of your car, then you should not tune it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Chip tuning companies are typically small outfits addressing a niche market. They do not have the testing facilities of BMW so by definition, their customers are mainly the ones doing the testing.
True, though some well known names are a bit bigger and do perform tests, before they release their products.

Quote:
So what are the effects? Firstly and most importantly, more heat; so the cooling system is under substantially more stress and will tend to run hotter.
True again. However in most cases the cooling system is the same accross a range of engine, so for example the 116i has the same system as the 118i and thus can cope with the increased performance. Also, most repoutable tuning boxes do 2 things: a) they work only on over 80% of throtle opening (so they do not work all the time to increase heat in traffic lets say) and b) they monitor through the sensors the cars vital temps and cut off, if they increase above a certain limit.

Quote:
Second, the increased performance makes the car a lot faster, working the brakes a lot harder, which directly correlates to higher insurance premiums....
If you inform your insurance...if not, then there is no premium.

Quote:
Then there's the increased power and torque's effect on the drive train. Is the clutch and gearbox built for so much more power and torque?. Apparently so, as hundreds of testers errrrr customers will attest to. The fact that the manufacturers don't agree and suspend the warranty is a minor irritation, but what would they know? Clearly their engines are highly tuneable and no one's posting about blowing gearboxes or clutches, proving conclusively that the tune is safe.
True again, but again many components are that same accross a range of models. Thus, the auto box of the 116i is the same as the one in the 118i and 125i and it can cope with the increased power and torque. Of course it is not always the case, so you have always to check the gearbox specs. Also, the reputable tuners offer a warranty to cover all engine and drivetrain failure, if BMW refuses to do so, because of the tuning.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0