View Single Post
      10-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #59
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I recently counted 25 aftermarket exhaust solutions for the 1M, and this without mid pipe or down pipe alternatives in the count. I very much doubt that there will be this many offers for this M135i, it sounds really very good. Can't be explained just with the catless midpipes of the N55 setting, it is better than just that.

I think the bottomline of this new car is being a real performance bargain at the positive side while the negative is controversial looks to say the least. I am still not feeling allright with this face despite the fact that I see everyday one or two around here, not the M135i though but still..nothing helps.

Straight line speed with this 8 speed auto version is on par with a stock 1M, till around 60 mph, after that 1M goes faster according to every detailed test I read till now. I remember that 1M catches and pulls away from the RS3 sometime around 80-90 mph. 1M has more torque than both RS3 and M135i (overboost, average dynos are 550+ nm) and more power as well (stocks are more like 350-360 ps) but it is also considerably heavier than this M135i and 6 speed manual can't fight with the efficiency of the 8 speed auto at launch, that is for sure. And the xdrive will definitely make it faster than the 1M at a drag race, again probably till a certain speed, maybe higher than 60 mph.

I can add factory fitted Michelin PSS over 1M's factory fitted PS2s as a clear advantage as well, I have the PSS on my 1M and I know how much better they are, especially in terms of traction.

Non-performance related points on the side of M135i vs. 1M should be various settings which should help for a more comfortable ride, better quality plastics, more modern layout (interior), more options to choose from and (much) better mileage.

If 1M would be still in production this would only be second best for enthusiast drivers, but still a proud one for being 25% cheaper. Now, 1M done and this new car is a serious threat for every other small performance car I can imagine including (only slightly) cheaper hot hatches like Astra OPC, Golf/Scirocco R, Focus ST, Megane Trophy, plus usual Impreza and Lancer duo.

It is not perfect but hard to resist. Given the price and target market BMW got this one very right imo.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0