04-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #93
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
But the industry is already in the game and developing more sustainable alternatives than just electric or plug-in hybrid which is not just about range but also performance.
I do not think it will wipe out the German auto industry as badge prestige remains a primary option for our and everybody else's customers globally.

The Tesla threat? Well if BMW had a 3er that attracted 400,000 units for pre sale then the factory would be expanded to make way for expansion on production or a new plant built and ready to deliver the car on schedule. Both i3 and i8 reached the market on schedule and that involved building a new plant to manufacture CFRP as well as a completely new production line at Leipzig all due thanks to massive investment from BMW.

Both recent Tesla models have been affected by delays. And with the production units expected in late 2017 but again could be possibly delayed by that time there will be direct competitors and many customers will have probably dropped out from the list either due to another product or price adjustments?

Where Tesla will do damage will be with the volume domestic manufacturers.

Which either way whoever wins the battle? The American taxpayer will still be paying for it.
We actually (partially) agree on something! Except for the "do damage to the domestic volume manufacturers." Tesla sells more Model S's than BMW sells i3 or i8

But could you please clarify "The American taxpayer will still be paying for it"? If that means we are subsidizing the Tesla Model S and some of the Model 3's (maybe) with the (max) $7,500 tax incentive, I believe it applies to the i3 ($7,500) and i8 ($3,793) as well, does it not?

Total Sales May '14 thru March '16 (data from Good Car Bad Car website)
Volt ---------- 33,032
Mod. S ------- 44,350
i3 ------------- 17,888 (i3 sales started in US May 2014)
i8 -------------- 2,295
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-23-2016 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0