Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel20 View Post
I owned a mk5 and mk6 so it was time for a change especially as the golf is just so evolutionary. I checked out in detail and drove the mk7, other than still suffering torque steer (on of the reasons I wanted a RWD car, but with enough power for it to matter!) it is a pretty much perfect package, well built, well priced, looks good and only requires a couple toys off the reasonably priced options list.

As an all rounder in the 160kw warm/hot hatch segment, it remains the best all rounder. Incredibly good resale as well.

But the Bm has come a long way, when I bought my first GTI in 2007 the 1 series alternative for similar money was a modestly specc'd E8? 120i. It was a joke in comparison.

Now the 125i is up there with power and quality and in a base m-sport model on price as well. The spec is a little light in comparison or if you want the toys the 125i will cost a little more. And the GTI also has far better interior space utilization which matters if you need a fairly practical car.

But if I spec up a GTI to my 125i level, xenons, up rated sound, parking sensors, nav, sunroof, the price difference is still insignificant. Remember you have to pay extra for a full maintainance plan instead of just a service plan on a GTI.

But yeah, damn good car that. Can never go wrong with a GTI and the new model is a looker, but I expect to see so many that they will soon no longer be a little special like my EB 1 is.

Apparently since the mk5 50% of golfs sold in SA are GTIs. That's a lot of GTIs!! And their dealer network is painfully bad, maybe they can get away with it with the vivo crowd, but on a R400k car, I'm just really glad I never have to see the inside of a Vw service centre again! And trust me, I tried quite a few dealerships as I had a polo before my GTIs
Well its nice that you moved out of the ve brand and into something even better .. I didn't want to say this before, but the gti just never appealed to me, only because of the vast amount of them on our roads. I have heard of that statistic before and I'm quite sure it's true. Possibly even a little too modest lol. It's a hot seller for obvious reasons and nothing can detract from the greatness of the car.. but again, the gti mk7 epidemic has started. I've literally seen more gtis than the standard golf 7 on the road until now. The 125i continues to be a rarity on the road however. Combine that with good resale and you've got a winner there. The 125i also eats the gti hehe..
Appreciate 0