10-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #24
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
I think you've got the perfect spec going on there. I ALWAYS choose xenons, pdc, sunroof, 18" wheels, m-sport (well sport line in the case of my F30, as I preferred it to M-sport surprisingly) and manual.. I've never touched an auto, navigation and upgraded sound, although I'm inclined to choose a variation of that for my next car hopefully! I seriously can't believe that you spent 450K for your 125i!!! But that's the reality nowadays. Nothing is cheap and you get what you pay for. But those extras obviously increase the enjoyment and quality of your daily drive, so it's definitely well worth it, if you think about it. I'm just such a conservative person and quite miserly with my money lol.

I'm good with just having the standard bluetooth for hands-free calls lol! I only listen to the radio exclusively, which defeats the purpose of extended BT and HK systems for me. The spec on my F30 was very generous to begin with, so it was one of the reasons I chose it. Climate control and leather come to mind.

But you can't beat the spec of the GTI. It's probably the best performance bargain right now, especially the MK7. Did you consider the new GTI as a viable replacement to your previous GTI? It's also very technologically advanced, but obviously not in the way as the BMW is...

You're right in that the M135i would be a waste for you, when the extras and sufficient 160 kW is enough for traffic-rich day, especially in JHB. It definitely makes sense especially when you consider that the same spec'd out M135i would run for demo 335i money..

It's just plain stupid that MB dealers have an attitude to sell A-classes due to the limited supply? Such nonsense. I can imagine the same happening with the CLA. But the price of the CLA does make you realise why they would be in demand. The CLA200 is cheaper than a standard F30 320i, just saying...

Those diamond-quilted seats is a must-have for the S3, as well as the LEDs. At 11K, I don't expect to see any S3s on the road without them.
If the S3 is priced right (especially in saloon form, yum), it will be a tough decision between that and the new M235i next year
I owned a mk5 and mk6 so it was time for a change especially as the golf is just so evolutionary. I checked out in detail and drove the mk7, other than still suffering torque steer (on of the reasons I wanted a RWD car, but with enough power for it to matter!) it is a pretty much perfect package, well built, well priced, looks good and only requires a couple toys off the reasonably priced options list.

As an all rounder in the 160kw warm/hot hatch segment, it remains the best all rounder. Incredibly good resale as well.

But the Bm has come a long way, when I bought my first GTI in 2007 the 1 series alternative for similar money was a modestly specc'd E8? 120i. It was a joke in comparison.

Now the 125i is up there with power and quality and in a base m-sport model on price as well. The spec is a little light in comparison or if you want the toys the 125i will cost a little more. And the GTI also has far better interior space utilization which matters if you need a fairly practical car.

But if I spec up a GTI to my 125i level, xenons, up rated sound, parking sensors, nav, sunroof, the price difference is still insignificant. Remember you have to pay extra for a full maintainance plan instead of just a service plan on a GTI.

But yeah, damn good car that. Can never go wrong with a GTI and the new model is a looker, but I expect to see so many that they will soon no longer be a little special like my EB 1 is.

Apparently since the mk5 50% of golfs sold in SA are GTIs. That's a lot of GTIs!! And their dealer network is painfully bad, maybe they can get away with it with the vivo crowd, but on a R400k car, I'm just really glad I never have to see the inside of a Vw service centre again! And trust me, I tried quite a few dealerships as I had a polo before my GTIs

Last edited by diesel20; 10-20-2013 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0