07-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #44
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M539

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
After 3 days and (only) ~350km, I'll write down some thoughts concerning some of the controversial options and the known issues some have.

- no rattling/random noise/humming
- var. sport steering works as its supposed to and I love it (had a testcar with it -> became mandatory), closest to my beloved e87 pre-fl mechanical steering
- the mixed tires (225/245) are not chasing ruts (contrary to the 205/225 on my e87)
- The ride mit M-suspension and 17" RFTs is still like 250% more comfy as my E87 pre-fl basic-ride with 18" RFTs (205/225)
- reception of the radio pro is fine, even where the frequencies change it copes better and faster with that than my e87
- HiFi system: Imo its sufficient if you're not used to a 1000€-home-stereo. clean sound (although it lacks the tweeters) and a nice solid bass, good value for the money.
- at one drive the backlight/brightness of the idrive display flickered, some others had that too. only happend that one time, never again since. will mention it at the dealer.
- Ambientlight (lights package) is bright enough at night, some people complained its barely noticeable, but I think its very nice and ok. conveys a sense of value. I'm using white right now (sport setting)
- will ask for the price for the lhs-rhd-visor tomorrow, that printed on sticker sucks.
- seats - awesome! I'm changing the lumbar support quite often, depending on how I (or my back) feel, but never "removed" it completely yet.
- autodimming ext. mirros: not as strong as the interior one (must-have!), but on the autobahn at night they were still quite helpful
- M-steeringwheel feels very good, good grab, like the thickness, better than the normal wheel
- (manuel) AC cools very fast, I thought my E87-AC was quick, but the F20 is again noticably faster
- even without M Sport I suggest the black ceiling, the sense of value it conveys is very nice, worth the money!
- some reported not-so-airtight trunks, I tried with a pressure washer and it was all airtight here
- autogearbox is above reproach, loving it! If you like auto-gearboxes, you will love the 8HP!
- no squeaking from the brakes yet (some reported)
- blackpaneldisplay - nice toy, the 170€ are justified again just by the improveed quality feeling
- no creaking plastics inside yet.

Whatever else comes to my mind will be posted later. If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them .

Oh and for the Eco-Fans:

8th gear:
100: ~1600rpm
120: ~1750rpm
130: ~1900rpm
140: ~2100rpm

First fillup at 282km. BMW told me they filled up exactly 20 liters, I refilled 44,26 liters, which results in a consumption of 4.70 l/100km (= 50 US mpg, 60 Imp. mpg). The BC told me 5.something, so either the BC is off (not really uncommon) or BMW filled in more than they told me. The future will tell the story .

No more 1-series. Just a '14 Focus Diesel Wagon company-daily. Oh and this one..

Last edited by 1thomas; 07-08-2012 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0