06-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #303
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
It looks like BMW made a common mistake here. They're trying to rebrand the 1 series instead of being a baby BMW to being a "hip" "urban" "young" "piss your parents off" car. This line of thinking has never worked in the history of the auto industry and has resulted in some of the worst vehicles on the face of the planet.

To sum this up BMW is trying to sell to young people having nobody working there that has any clue about young people. The original 1 series hatch to coupe upgrade is a perfect example of how a simple attractive design can be wildly popular. Instead of doing the thing that BMW is good at doing, they have tried to make a VW golf.

This out of touch junk is exactaly the kind of thing that would be crapped out if you hired a semi-truck designer or helicopter manufacturer to design a car. This crap is what happens when BMW designs a car for people they have never met or heard of. It is disgraceful and I am ashamed it exists.

Here's a peice of advice to BMW that I learned from one of the best people I've ever worked with in the auto industry:

"Young people and your average hip folk do not want a wild car. What they want is a car that is not conservative. The difference between a wild car and one that isn't conervative is subtle and mangement often overlooks it, but a wild car is cars like the Aztek in that it is a freak, it's a weirdo. Nobody likes that. A car that is not conservative is edgy enough but not weird."
Very well said
Appreciate 0