07-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #36
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
So what are you worried about here? That people won't know how much money you spent on your car? Seriously, if you don't believe there is enough of a difference between a 328iX and the new FWD 1-er models -- other than it's perceived cost to other people -- then you probably don't understand what BMW is doing at all.
Attempted insult aside, you need to take yourself out of the mindset of a fanatic...which you and I both are or we wouldn't be here. I'm talking about the perception of the average future buyer. Rightly or wrongly, cost is very often perceived to roughly equal value. If BMW is perceived to be making Honda Fit's, they will have a much harder time convincing that the much higher cost of their upper end models is justified. Honda's most expensive sedan is around $35,000. BMW's is around $110,000. Those are VERY different market segments. Notice Honda, Toyota, GM...they all have different brands for their premium market segment. What would you say to a Cadillac hatchback that looks like a Civic? Premium brands have tried to go down market in the past and it was a disaster. Look at when Mercedes tried it with their little hatchback or when Cadillac sold the Catera. If BMW wants to compete in that lower market segment, they should create another brand or stick with Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukabi View Post
Looks like the natural evolution of HONDA FR-V.
Bingo!