View Single Post
      01-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #31
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

I think some of you deny reality: lots of ooooomph will convert automatically into 4WD transmission lines. All M cars will become AWD eventually. I agree there is no more grip from the tires... but what's the point, you can't use the reserves in a RWD at all. When you loose grip, you still have grip reserves left in the front tires that you can't access. You need AWD to exploit the limits that RWD don't even offer to you. For example look at what the facelifted E63 amg gains... and compare it to the poor M5 with only his RWD.

4WD is the future for all high output cars. The M135i will be a better all day performance car with it. I think it is make believe purist mumbo jumbo to think that an M135i pure experience is compromised with xDrive. That's like stating that a Ferrari can't be real with a power assisted steering in it. All this is bygone romance. New school requires that you use all technical trics you have access to, in order to exploit the potential under all conditions.

For all these reasons: when you go AT, best combine with xDrive. When you like purist RWD and rear end loosing grip, while steering wheel is total freed from torque effects, go for manual transmission RWD while avoiding spending additonal 3000€ then. But don't believe the latter is the better all rounded car that is faster under most conditions since it won't.

Last edited by KoenG; 01-19-2013 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0