View Single Post
      09-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #37
manteroo
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW F20 118i Auto

Hi

Response from my Dealer.....................

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have seen this on various models, to a lesser degree some bases show no signs of rust others have small specs or spots .

The seat base on some of our models have a protective wax coating over the raw metal to restrict the possibility of rust.

There are several different handling and manufacturing processes of the seat as well as the vehicle which could lead to the wax either being rubbed off or the possibility of the base standing in a moist environment.

The rest of the vehicle body has an electrolysis coating which is applied to the metal before the vehicle is painted. The rust is most likely only found on the underpart of the seat.

As this is a component inside the vehicle and not exposed to moisture the risk of rust is very low.

AS I have not inspected your vehicle I cannot comment on its condition but from my experience it is normally superficial surface rust and will not degenerate further.

I would recommend we replace the seat base however the rust could also be wipped clean and a new layer of wax could be applied. I do not believe that there is any other area which is affected as this is the only place that does not have E-coat over it.
Appreciate 0