10-10-2016, 05:15 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
That has never happened in the past - has never been BMW's goal or target - why would they do it now?

In 1971, I bought a brand new Corvette for $5800. There was no BMW in that price range or performance that could compete. The 2002tii was a great car, but it was no Corvette. BMW didn't build one then and they never will.
Apparently you forget the M1 and Z8. Both are 2-seat sports cars. Maybe the Z3M Coupe? Z3M Roadster. Z4... All sports cars. None match the performance of the Corvette, or Porsches of various guises of the day. My point is, now BMW has to turn to Toyota to build the next Z-series BMW? And Scott26 (I really don't think he works for BMW anyway but that's beside the point) says "The engineering of the joint project can not be compared to other sports cars in the same price level." What in the hell does that mean exactly? And what is the price level? Does this mean a Toyota priced at a MX-5 level for $30K and BMW Z5 at $65K both with performance of a Corvette, or boxster/Cayman?

Just another ambiguous statement from the Scottster that means nothing, but implies BMW is the greatest automotive engineering house on the planet.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0