View Single Post
      08-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #35
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

I am mildly surprised that this debate has got this far without much discussion of the fact that the 328i has a turbocharged four and the M135i has a naturally aspirated straight six. If you care about character in an engine, surely the latter is more instantly appealing.

There are any number of smallish saloons with turbocharged 4 cylinder engines. The field of smallish hatchbacks with powerful 6 cylinder engines is limited to just the M135i, especially when you factor in that you can, mercifully, still get it with a manual gearbox.

The M135i is just much more of an enthusiast's machine. The 328i sounds like it's a slick bit of kit that'll be a painless pleasure to own but is unlikely to make you want to go and find some wiggly roads just for the sheer hell of it. Whereas, the 1M (and I'm hoping the M135i) are altogether naughtier and a bit more raw.

T'was ever thus. I remember back-to-backing the E92 335i coupe and the 135i coupe a few years back and the latter felt much more fun and engaging to drive. The bigger car was almost certainly the better, smoother car but it just felt a bit too grown up for its own good.

Current: Macan GTS
Previous: 440i GC, M135i, E60 M5, Z1, 330d, 135i, Alfa 156 GTA, Mercedes 500E, Audi S3, Audi A3 quattro, VW Golf GTI 16v
Appreciate 0