View Single Post
      10-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
BMW-RaceR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle

Thanks for you reply Ove.
Have been reading many of you posts on the old BMWCCN forum, some on the new forum and some here. Thanks for all the good and informative posts!

Softer rear swaybar is out of the question. And I would not bother with other adjustments to compensate for the understeer that would cause.
They easy and right fix for my problem is naturally a LSD.

I know your new car is fast around a big track (Considering its HP/weight/comfort), but im more interested in handling and "drift ability" on wet pavement while on the power. How would you compare the F20 116I playfulness and fun factor with your previously E36 323ti with LSD?

Side question: Did you test drive 118I and compare it to the 116I?
Would be nice to see a side by side real world dyno comparison on those engines.

Im not sure, but with my limited experience on wet pavement it felt like the E-diff did its job on removing 1-wheel drive. But at the same time I think it "removed" power when braking the spinning wheel. Do you think that is the case too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I have however found that drifting in summer conditions is very difficult. There is not enough power compared to grip, and the e-diff can not cope with the high loads involved.
Explain further please... I am not expecting that the new 116I can powerslide on dry pavement in the summer. That would not be my goal either.
I would believe 118I + LSD + stiffer rear swaybar could be a a very entertaining car. At least in theory if the engine is as underrated as the 116I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I have been thinking about the issue with installing an aftermarket LSD on cars with e-diff. It might work just fine. The LSD will keep the velocity difference between the driven wheels at a minimum, which would prevent the e-diff from doing anything. And if it interferes, it would only do so when necessary (like when you lift a wheel with TorSen LSD).
Im basically having the same thoughts when combining E-diff + LSD. It could be a real benefit when staring on ice or when one wheel is in the air.
But in a low powered vehicle it is important to not have any braking what so ever when doing a little sideways fun. If the E-diff is very sensitive it might interfere a little. Probably not enough to be of difference, but I would feel better if it was not there.
And if spending 15000,-++ NOK it would be nice to be sure the system would not interfere. That is why it would be nice to have a button for activation/deactivation. That way you could also try out the combination and see if the E-diff actually made things better or worse, to a minimal degree..
Appreciate 0