View Single Post
      09-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
What feels most comfortable can vary a lot from person to person. Some people like firm springs and soft dampers, while I think that is uncomfortable. The type of wheels you select will also affect the comfort.

I have never heard anybody say that the F20 M Sport suspension is uncomfortable or too stiff, but some people complain about it being too soft for their liking. It is significantly more comfortable than the previous generation 1-series.
The 1st gen 1 Series we didn't even try due to uk reviews all commenting about the firm ride and poor comfort about town.

The reviews of the f20 have been a lot better as regards ride, so we thought we would try it.
The car we've ordered is a second car but we wanted a well balanced good handling car that could cope well with UK's urban pot holed road network. My wife also suffers from back ache and has had spinal fusion, a firm ride isn't the problem it's how it deals with that initial impact when the wheels hit holes and ridges. Probably the main factor in this is the wheel/tyre combination.
Although the SE and Sport have the same suspension there is a very noticeable difference between the SE's 55 Series tyres and the Sport's 45 Series Run Flats, which is why we ended up ordering an SE with sports seats and sports steering wheel.

Manufacturers are getting better with the whole ride/handling compromise, most want a limo ride over poor surfaces at low speed and sports car handling down the twisty b road. Ever stiffer chassis allow the suspension setups to be more finely tuned and we all benefit.
Some of the Audi S-Line models are completely too hard for uk roads.
The F20 has it spot on for me which is why we ordered one.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0