View Single Post
      02-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #29
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I thought we convinced you of the basic need for a CC and their benefits in this thread?

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1076269
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
We must have not done a very good job
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict1957 View Post
This is the mentality of a financially illiterate person, unless you're just so ridiculously wealthy (I'm talking like $10 million+ minimum) that any pittance of a credit card reward or boost in FICO score simply does not matter for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Or rent a car, stay in a hotel, buy a plane ticket, etc. I dont understand how anyone can live a normal life without a credit card. .
The Debit card i have from my bank can also be used as a CC. It has a MasterCard logo on it. So that's how i get plane tickets, hotels, rentals etc. However, When i use it at stores/gas station, it asks me if i want to use as Credit or Debit. I always use Debit. I've probably used it as Credit maybe 2x.

Edited.

Trust me i've thought about opening up a legit CC but i keep having draw backs. So i think i really need to discipline myself and set mental rules before i pull the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Good for you, if I'm going to buy day to day things that I need anyway, may as well earn airline miles and/or cash back while I do it.

Keep paying with debit, I'll get something in return for making purchases I was going to make anyway. Another perk to credit cards over debit cards, I've yet to find a debit card that doesn't charge you foreign transaction fees while on vacation (Capital One credit cards, for example, do not). Have a fraudulent charge that was approved? It's much easier getting that sorted out with a credit card vs. a debit card. Like with all things credit, it's just a matter of not being an idiot and understanding that it's not "free money". If you're nervous about not being able to show personal restraint, then yes it's reasonable to stick with debit, or if you're just starting out building your credit (doesn't seem like you're one of those people), a secured credit card is a good way to go. Rule of thumb for me, if I can't pull out my debit card and pay for it right there, then I'm sure as hell aren't charging it. Also keeping my credit used vs. credit limit under 15% for me is another rule I stick buy. Using the two rules in tandem keeps you out of trouble. Those who get carried away from credit cards merely show a lack of fiscal responsibility.

To me it's stupid to pay full asking price for something using a debit card even if you got a .1% rebate from using a credit card (granted .1% cash back is a pretty crappy CC benefit, just using it for the sake of example). Why pay more if you don't have to? Any reasonable adult who tracks their finances can easily manage a credit card (I personally have 7...of those only 2-3 I actually use on a regular basis, I don't cancel the other ones though as it'll ding my score). How you can manage unsecured, revolving debt works can work wonders for you, even if you have largely secured, non-revolving debt reflected on your credit report/score. Outside of the airline miles/cash back, there's other benefits (aside from lack of foreign transaction fees). Cards can also give you added perks, such as an extra 1 year warranty on various electronic items above and beyond the standard manufacturer's warranty, additional rental car insurance free of charge (not to mention, to rent a car, you typically need a credit card, most places won't accept debit and if they do, they may require an extensive security deposit), there's also a perk to my Citi Diamond Preferred Card. If I purchase something and a month later that item from that same vendor is on sale for 50% off? Guess what? I call Citi, inform them, provide proof of the current sale going on, and I get that savings back as if I had bought that item on sale.

If you're responsible, credit offers several advantages over debit. Sounds like you just know a bunch of fiscally irresponsible, reckless, and immature people. I've saved tons of money by using credit cards over debit. I've had flights paid for just by doing shit like buying groceries I need. As for cancelling your Sleepy's account, it's because it was a new account. Your credit score is also a function of your longest active account, the longer you hold a card or account for, the more it hurts you if you cancel it. Reason being, if you've had a card for 10 years and still use it, that's just more history for reporting companies to rank your creditworthiness on.
Yes! And that is the reason why they got it in the first place. They thought it was 'free money'.

"Rule of thumb for me, if I can't pull out my debit card and pay for it right there, then I'm sure as hell aren't charging it."
This is very inspiring. Thanks.
JasonCSU and P1et have also given me lots of educational thoughts.