Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim73 View Post
OK Fani, here is this scenario* then: you have just started your vacation in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in southern Crete (yes, we love "deserted" beaches... ). You have a flat tyre and the nearest local workshop (which, of course, does not have the suitable equipment to replace your RFT, but only conventional tyres - yes there is a difference in the replacement procedure also) is in the other side of the island.

What are your options?

How safe would you feel thinking you will be passing the rest of your holidays with a punctured RFT?

How are those problems solved by BMW Mobile Care? Can they provide you with a spare RFT?
Hi Dim

Here is my view on the subject:

If the tyre is totally destroyed, then yes you can do nothing! However, this is a very rare case and I am willing to take my chances, instead of carrying around a spare wheel.

Now if the tyre is just punctured, you have the following options, even in Crete (or any other isolated place):

1. Drive to the nearest tyre shop and have the tyre repaired, if possible. Yes RFT can be repaired (I have done it twice), as long as the structural integrity of the sidewalls is intact.

2. Replace the tyre with a conventional used tyre (pay max 50 Euro), just in order to get around and when you return home you replace it with the proper RFT tyre. I have done it with my Z4, when I had a flat tyre (non-RFTs) and the local tyre shop did not have my tyre size, so I mounted a different size used one just to be able to go home.

Of course you should not drive with a punctured RFT around...it is not safe. At the end, all is matter of statistics. Personally I am willing to risk a bit (like 1%) than buy another wheel and carry it around with me in every journey I make.

As for BMW mobile care, it is a good question. I do not know what they will do and what they are obliged to do. I think they will take you to the nearest BMW dealer and from there you have to deal with the dealer (find you a tyre, give you a loan car or whatever).
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0