03-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #27
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanis View Post
There is a problem in the scenario you describe only if the tyre is detroyed and no just panctured. In this case, an only this, yes the RFT is useless and you need a spare wheel. However, the odd are in favour of you...I drive since 1993 and I never had a punctured tyre that was destroyed. In all cases (5 times in total) the tyre was repairable and if I had a RFT (in only 1 case the tyre was RFT) I would continue with no problem.
OK Fani, here is this scenario* then: you have just started your vacation in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in southern Crete (yes, we love "deserted" beaches... ). You have a flat tyre and the nearest local workshop (which, of course, does not have the suitable equipment to replace your RFT, but only conventional tyres - yes there is a difference in the replacement procedure also) is in the other side of the island.

What are your options?

How safe would you feel thinking you will be passing the rest of your holidays with a punctured RFT?

How are those problems solved by BMW Mobile Care? Can they provide you with a spare RFT?

*This is a true scenario and I am sure it is not rare. It happened to us last summer in Crete with a rented Polo the second day we set foot on the island... The car had conventional tyres, the problem was solved in a few minutes using the spare wheel and 30 minutes later we were already enjoying our swim at the beach... I really don't want to imagine what would have happened if it had RFTs and no spare wheel...
Appreciate 0