United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
I don't know why some of you are pretending like there's no fun to drive FWD hatchback with premium feel out there. Did we all forget about the GTI? That is the car that created the entire segment for god's sake. And at its current iteration, it is an excellent small car that is both practical and fun with a nice interior. Plus it looks about a thousand times better than the F20.
+1,000,000. Though I think most enthusiasts would prefer RWD, a FWD platform can be well-executed and fun to drive.

To me, the current iteration of BMW is like a teenager going through puberty and we enthusiasts are like concerned parents. We're watching our once-precious child go through some VERY awkward moments (i.e. the e65 and 5er GT) and we're concerned about the kid's future.

Realistically, if BMW is to remain a profitable yet independent company, they have to appeal to buys who don't know FWD from RWD or care about 50/50 weight distribution. Hopefully, what doesn't get lost on BMW is that mass-market appeal, profitability, and driving pleasure are NOT mutually exlusive. Look at Subaru/Toyota and the BR-Z/FR-S. If BMW could bring forth a nimble, light, and fun-to-drive car with relatively few frills that showcased their abilities as an "Ultimate driving machine", it would go a long way toward addressing enthusiast concerns. Oh... and stop slapping ///M badges all over everything. That's just annoying.
Appreciate 0