View Single Post
      05-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
airblade550
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118D Auto Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonF1982 View Post
I'm entertaining the idea of getting the Alpine audio upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with this on the F20, or the E8x models?

What could I expect to gain from upgrading? Is it worth it, etc. Any other related advise also welcome.

Hi... Having fitted the Alpine upgrade to a late, (2010) E87 I can report that it was a complete "plug & play" installation procedure and took me appx 2.5hrs. I wouldnt imagine that it would be too much different on the F20

All that was needed were a few basic tools to unclip/unscrew a few bits of trim. The cables plugged into existing sockets in the loom.

As the signal is taken from the existing loudspeaker cables, (as opposed to the head unit at line level), the system sees no change, no new hardware is detected, so no coding is required at that level. The only instance where coding could be required is where, (because the basic system has no tweeters), the high feq output of the head unit has been boosted and needs to be set at a reduced level to reflect the new improved caperbilities of the retrofit.... Alternativly, just reduce the treble manually via the tone control...

The change to the system in quality terms is well worth the £350 that the kit cost.
Appreciate 0