View Single Post
      01-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #28
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
....The current crop of cars with efficient dynamics and bluemotion and ecomotion and ecotec and greentec etc, etc just con the EU test. They don't add much to real world economy in my experience..

As a real world example when I bought my Passat 2.0TDi it was sold with or without bluemotion tech, the bluemotion versions were £1.5k more.
I bought the standard model with a combined 48mpg figure, the bluemotion version was 60mpg.
On my motorway commute I get 50mpg to 55mpg depending on temperature. I once had a bluemotion version for a week and the economy was no different what so ever.
You make a very relevant observation, something that got my interest as an "mpg anorak", as ECO technologies came along. Mpg shortfall is increasing with these eco models, some suggesting that real world averages now showing over a 20% shortfall.

DieselCar recently posted observations of a standard Golf 140 TDi, against the Bluemotion model with the same 2.0 TDI engine. Driven as we do in normal day to day driving mpg was very similar, only when driving with economy in mind did the Bluemotion show its 'eco' credentials.

So guys who drive in ECO-PRO mode and 'reset the mind' to driving, as much as economy drivers do already, will see the benefits.

We've lost the slack we used to have against the official mpg figures. The manufacturers have used it up, so now very hard to get good looking mpg against the official combined figure.

Take my E39 540i, I could improve on the combined figure by over 25% long term, without using economy driving techniques. Current F11 535i, will never make the combined figure as an average, driving as I did in the 540i. The extra 10 or so mpg "on paper" is not a real world reality.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0