View Single Post
      09-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

What should the next 1 series fix or address

Now that many of us have had a longer term relationship with our 1's, what would you like to see BMW do with the next 1 series?

What design characteristics would you change, and how, if you could tell BMW what to do, so that you would get another 1.

This is for the day to day 1 series, not an M variant, which has it's own threads of desire.

In realistic terms, what needs to happen?

Here is what I would like to see in the next 1 series:
My list is extensive, but realistic.
Exterior:
-Body changes. Keep the nice tight body proportions and even the general shape, but REMOVE the pot belly pig line and look of the mid-section. The rear looks great, so be minimal there.
-A refined front end, more evolution than revolution, perhaps some deeper and wider splitters built into the front facia.
-I like fog lights.
-Dual exhaust, at least for the hi-po engine variant, 135i.

FIX the damn side windows with real and FUNCTIONAL rain gutters/channels. I am tired of getting soaked when I use the windshield spray and wipers when the windows are open!
Perhaps stop with the frameless doors that have the "ooo, ahhhh" effect, but allow all kinds of dirt and debris into the door only to end up streaking dirt and grime on my windows only a few minutes after I've spent a couple of hours cleaning the car.

Interior:
-A real and adjustable arm rest that can adjust up and down, and fore and aft.
-A standard central color LCD display to show controls for HVAC, Radio, Cell phone, car computer MPG, MPH, etc..., that does NOT require a NAV option. Bring some "luxury" tech to the interior.
-Real brushed aluminum trim option.
-Slightly wider adjustable side bolsters, and a bit more cushion to the thigh bolsters.
-MUCH better head rest that can at least change angle, but would be better if it were like the 3 series vert headrest.
-Cooler Tach and speedometer lighting, something along the line of the 3 series gauges.
-With a central LCD display, more room to add coolant temp, oil temp, boost gauge, with a toggle to real tire pressure readout in numbers.
-Better HVAC air flow.

-A MUCH better standard audio option with subs, and enough power to jam at volume while driving 90mph with both windows open. I'm sure the vert folks would appreciate that. Oh, and add an EQ you cheapskates.

Mechanical:
-Suspension, suspension, suspension. Do it right. You know how to, ask the engineers working on the 3 series.
-Shorter clutch travel.
-Shorter clutch lever throws.
-At least a bump to 320hp/320lb ft, with a power band allowing better, flatter torque curve into higher rpm range.
-LSD, at least as a realistic cost option.
-Taller 5th and 6th gear for the MT, or at least 6th for less revs cruising at high speed, and better highway MPG.
-And NO HPFP failures.

-High performance all season tire option with the sport packages for those who still have to drive in 4 seasons conditions.
-Better next gen RFT's, or go back to regular tires and a spare and jack.

I'd kinda like to see more "pearl" colors too, like a pearl white, blue.

That's about it.

To distill the most important:
-No HPFP issue.
-Suspension, suspension, suspension
-Rain/water flow, side windows
-Arm-rest
-Base audio
-Head-rest
-Pot belly look, removal

And TRY to not add more weight.
Appreciate 0