View Single Post
      08-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #20
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy View Post
ALMS was more strict then I believe, generally speaking GT racing seems to have relaxed homologation to an extent, or at least more willing to grant certain exemptions like the Z4.
ALMS was more strict as they more closely followed ACO regulations. Tudor/IMSA still use ACO regulations as a basis for their rules book, but they have been applying more liberal waivers to homologation rules. Not sure how much further IMSA will let teams circumvent homologation rules.

Quote:
Also, BMW has been very successful in GT racing in the last few years and I'm not just talking about ALMS/IMSA. They've finished well this year in IMSA with some bad luck in the last few races but certainly in the mix for the championship, they're certainly not at the back of the track. In GTD, the Z3 GT3 has a class leading number of wins. They've done well in a variety of European enduro races from what I've seen though I will admit I don't follow the various series over there very much. From what I've seen they have the best chassis but lack the top end speed, thus I think this would push them even more to build a successor.
Really talking about two different things. Factory teams in GTE/GTLM run under ACO/IMSA regulations. The top dogs in GT racing. Versus what you mention above privateer teams running Z4 GT3 customer cars. Like Turner in GTD in Tudor. Which like you said are running very well this year. The Z4 GT3 has also done quite well in races like 24hr Nurburgring and 24hr Spa. But when it comes to GTLM they have not been themselves for the last 2 1/2 seasons and by that I mean winning. When I say BMW might pull out of GTLM, I do not think that means all of GT racing. For example private teams like Turner Motorsports would continue to run the Z4.

Quote:
What they decide to do with the engine I'm not sure, it's possible the upcoming rules changes to GT racing may favor turbocharging more to attract more/keep car makers seeing as Merc is going entirely turbo on the AMG range as well. Rumors are the next R8 will use their turbo v8, though they may still produce a NA v10.
Rules will definitely need to be addressed in the next few years. This will especially happen now that you see even Ferrari going forced induction with the 458 refresh. Part of the reason why I see BMW taking another break from the GTLM class until the rules book has been addressed.
Appreciate 0