View Single Post
      08-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
They already left the biggest GT race in world a few years ago, the 24hr Le Mans. Mainly because the ACO doesn't put up with their sh*t. So leaving Tudor GTLM class doesn't seem like such a big stretch, although IMSA is more relaxed with their series homologation rules. They can focus solely on DTM and possible return to F1 as an engine supplier. Also similar to the E92 M3 GTE car, I think BMW is feeling they have hit a development wall with the car. And the series is not helping them, even with their complaining about speed. So it just feels like they may pull the plug now, if not after one more season.

GTE and GT3 specs are not unified. BMW gets waivers from IMSA to be able to run a modified GT3 spec car. The car runs less aero in GTLM, electronic driving aids are removed, such as antilock brakes, stability, or traction control (since they are not allowed in GTLM class). A few other changes as well, so IMSA would allow them waivers to circumvent homologation rules.

Don't have to be an insider, just some common sense if you follow the series closely. Unless they are hiding an M4 racing program, then I don't see it happening. They didn't hide the E92 M3 GTR program, that was out in the open and begin very early in the E92 life cycle. I mentioned the next Z4 as a vehicle to use in GT3 and VLN racing, their rules book are for more relaxed.

Just one mans perspective that watches far too much racing. Even if BMW remains in Tudor for one more year. They would be working on a program for the next car to use in the series, there just isn't anything out there.
With BMW's long history in GT racing and continued success it makes no sense for them to pull out. Besides, the reason they pulled out of 24hr le man is different than the reason you're suggesting that they would pull out of IMSA for, which is what we're discussing. They've been very successful with the Z4 despite it's lack of top end speed. If anything, it will push them to go to a successor M4 car.

Also, I did not say GTE and GT3 were unified, I said GTE in IMSA is unified with GTE in europe and same with GT3. The situation with the e92 GT3/GT2 development is different because it was needed as an immediate replacement whereas the Z4 was a stop gap between the e92 and the next car, thus it's not old enough to put out to pasture yet. This lets the development and announcement of a new platform live on a longer timetable.
Appreciate 0