View Single Post
      08-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #13
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy View Post
Seeing as leaving ALMS would basically indicate leaving all of GT racing since they use unified GTE and GT3 specs, which isn't going to happen. I'm sure someone knows ALMS's homologation rules better than I but I believe the Z4 is valid for next season.
They already left the biggest GT race in world a few years ago, the 24hr Le Mans. Mainly because the ACO doesn't put up with their sh*t. So leaving Tudor GTLM class doesn't seem like such a big stretch, although IMSA is more relaxed with their series homologation rules. They can focus solely on DTM and possible return to F1 as an engine supplier. Also similar to the E92 M3 GTE car, I think BMW is feeling they have hit a development wall with the car. And the series is not helping them, even with their complaining about speed. So it just feels like they may pull the plug now, if not after one more season.

GTE and GT3 specs are not unified. BMW gets waivers from IMSA to be able to run a modified GT3 spec car. The car runs less aero in GTLM, electronic driving aids are removed, such as antilock brakes, stability, or traction control (since they are not allowed in GTLM class). A few other changes as well, so IMSA would allow them waivers to circumvent homologation rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy View Post
Do you wish to out yourself as an insider or do you actually have proof BMW doesn't have a racing program being developed for the M4? The next Z4 will use turbocharged engines as well which aren't even M engines, you think they'd rather derive an engine from a normal series I6 instead of the S55?
Don't have to be an insider, just some common sense if you follow the series closely. Unless they are hiding an M4 racing program, then I don't see it happening. They didn't hide the E92 M3 GTR program, that was out in the open and begin very early in the E92 life cycle. I mentioned the next Z4 as a vehicle to use in GT3 and VLN racing, their rules book are for more relaxed.

Just one mans perspective that watches far too much racing. Even if BMW remains in Tudor for one more year. They would be working on a program for the next car to use in the series, there just isn't anything out there.
Appreciate 0