12-30-2014, 06:27 AM   #79
RMech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Hi RMech,

Please don't worry. I just had may be a false but strong impression you were trying to present the performance difference between 116i and 118i as negligible simply because you wished it were so. I neither took it personally (the fact I have a 118i is a pure coincidence) nor intended to bother you. I just wanted to share my opinion it was pointless. And even tried to explain why - all in vain. I'm sorry.
Hi No one,

Apology accepted, but telling someone that they are only kidding themselves and they brought the wrong car is deffnitely going to upset people

Perhaps I should explain the background. I went to the bmw dealer, not thinking I could afford a new car. I was surprised to find that I could by using PCP, so I looked at the specs for cars that suited my budget, and then chose a 116i MSport, as the performance on paper looked fine for me.

I then looked on some forums, that said the 116i is very underpowered, and I just couldn't understand, because I couldn't see how it could do 0-100km/h in 8.5 seconds yet feel underpowered?

My last car was an Nissan Almera 1.8 Auto 2004 , which did 0-100km in more like 12 seconds, so I was expecting the 116i to feel a lot quicker, but the forums made me think that it was going to feel gutless.

Consequently I did a lot of research to try to find what is the real world difference between the 116i and 118i (which I could afford if I wanted it enough), because as an Engineer I know statistics can be very deceptive.

I have shared the most objective information that I could find in the form of two youtube video, which compare the 116i and 118i back to back. It's certainly not meant to offend anyone or try to claim that a 116i performs the same as a 118i, that has 25% more power.

It's just designed to help people like myself, who are trying to chose between the two, and accurate perspective, because after reading the forums I had lost perspective.

Last edited by RMech; 12-30-2014 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0