Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMech View Post
Hi Vervain,

Thank that is really interesting. My partner is currently considering a Golf, Polo or A1. I must admit that the bmw is a bit spartan by comparison, but I just felt it was the car for me (more of an emotional choice than anything). Everyone says that the A3 is better finished and it sounds like you got a lot of bang for your buck. The trouble with using these forums to evaluate cars, is that it becomes all about performance on paper, and we get everything out of balance. It was only when I stated driving my car, that I realised how important some of the functional extras are for example streaming spotify from my phone using bluetooth and hoe crap the standard lights are on my 1 series (bloody terrible ha ha).

The s-tronic gearbox sounds really cool, what is so good about it? Does it have flappy paddles?

I'm very impressed with my auto box because I can only drive automatics, and for the first time I don't seem to be at a disadvantage for it. I even have more gears than the manual ha ha.
Go for the A1! lol. The new facelift looks sharp and should be a handful considering is weight, size and FI engine. I've recently driven the polo 1.2 turbo highline with Dsg and while it drove well, there was no sense of occasion in the drive nor the cabin feel. It was just a normal polo to me..

Yeah I also got carried away with the performance of the cars on here, hence this (very anti-climatic) thread lol. I realised that I wanted the best specs on paper without properly evaluating what I actually needed..

The gearbox is so unbelievably smooth it's spooky lol. It holds gears well in normal D mode. It gets even better in S and the changes are even snappier. Kickdown is awesome since it drops gears so quickly.
It does not have paddle shifters, just the normal tiptronic shifter. I've used it a few times and while it's fun, I find leaving the gearbox to do its own thing is much faster, even though that's probably not the point of it lol.

I've always driven manual but I don't think I will ever buy one after this car. I'm sold!
Appreciate 0