View Single Post
      01-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabley View Post
Oh ok, I drive for work so get paid per mile not on time so always drive nice and steady. Good to know about that A3, makes me feel a little happier.

Think my problem is many years ago I had a MK4 TDi Golf and got high 60's in that, even had 50 (iirc) going from East of Germany to West of Germany at 200+ kmh...
The latest combined figures are very artificial, not at all easy to get past the combined figure in normal, even light driving.

You mention the MK4 Golf TDI, my son ran an 110TDI GT for 4-years, a model that was so easy to exceed the combined figure. He'd see figures into the 70's driving to work without effort, and that was back between 1998 and 2002, before we entered the age of "the efficiency drive" and pre ULSD fuel. I recall his highest figure was over 90mpg on a run to work at the best ambient temperature (16C) one summer morning.

The VW 1.9 TDI was a very fuel efficient engine ahead of all the emission improvements, had one of the best BSFC figures, achieving 195g/KWH at best point.

I had a VW B5 Passat with the 110TDI engine, my consumption was typically around 60mpg on many trips. My best was from the Highlands to Warwick Services (about 400 miles) where I recorded 68.9mpg one summer day driving at legal speeds.

Yes, 68+mpg without effort, back in 1999 from a car much bigger than the current F20.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0